Monday, September 22, 2008

Some One line Lessons: How long was Ambani’s beard?

Lesson 1

 This incident happened some 8 yrs back. I was 19-20, doing my Apprenticeship for my chartered Accountancy. As usual I woke up did the morning chores and started to office. My office timings start at 09:30 in the morning. Though I am not punctual to office, I won’t go earlyJ. That day I reached my office at 9:27, I saw my boss at office. He asked me if I have got anything scheduled today. You know during apprenticeship, we would be waiting if the partner of the firm would have a look at you, will he give any job to you so that you can prove yourself etc. So obviously, I said nothing important. And that is the first time, rather first chance I got, he asked me to prepare for section 80- I of the income tax act, I vaguely recollect, it should be related to holiday period allowed for Hotel Industry. I was jumping in Joy and started to prepare the notes. The meeting was at 14:30 and by 12:30 I was ready with my all notes. I was rushing here and there and to get the print outs etc. Was fuming at my colleague who gave a print out for 250 pages. And I need to take just 2 pages of printout. It’s a small office, so I don’t have the choice of alternative printers. Everything went fine. And by 1:30 I went to his office and proudly presented my notes of the case, points to be highlighted, points to be discussed, points in our favour and points that were not in our favor, how to handle if points in favor was quoted, relevant previous case laws etc

 

Suddenly out of the blue he stopped me and said, Karthik, you have not shaved. It was wired- I was presenting him the case for the first time and he commented that I have not shaved.  Was wondering, if he ever turned his ear towards what I said. But was careful I didn’t show any facial expression. I just dismissed his comment by saying “No time Sir” and started with the next highlight. He laughed cynically. I wondered if I made a grave mistake in the highlight. “Pardon me Sir, have I committed some mistake”, he replied “No, No nothing- was just wondering how long beard Ambani should have grown” Ambani the most successful business man in India (Name a business, he had it). I realized that he pointed that if Ambani could find time to shave despite all his business dealings, why can’t I?

 

I realized 24 hours is common for all. The only thing that matters is what we prioritize and how better we utilize the allocated time.

4 comments:

  1. nice ra.......though i hav probs lyk dat anyways .....
    can u jus mention his name ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. V. Jayaram, FCA, Arun Jayaram & Krishnan, Chartered Accountants

    ReplyDelete