Monday, September 22, 2008

Subconsciously Conscious

Can anything and everything be Analyzed and calculated? Could a scientific approach be made on all activities? Should we sometime realise that there is a science behind everything?

 

I am riding my bike from my house to office. A distance of 14 kms in Chennai. There was a heavy rain in the morning and its drizzling now. The roads are drenched with water and made it impossible to identify the pits and the holes in the road.

 

I am taking my regular route to office today. The drizzling is getting heavier as a rain and I could hardly keep my eyes open to see the traffic. A new car overtook me but started to slow down and it went below my average speed and its blocking my way and to ride slow is a pain. I decided to overtake the car. The car driver sensed that I wanted to overtake him and he isn’t happy about it. He accelerated but I am no one to give it up. We were almost at same speed, accelerating and were neither of us could overtake each other for about a hundred meters.  Out of the blue a van came in the opposite direction and I sensed that he is no mood to slower down and wait for us to pass through. The danger is approaching. I need to take a quicker decision. I am going at 60. The road is no good to go more than that. The van is just a 20 mts away. If I apply the break, then I loose to the car and probably some vehicle behind me in the road may hit me. If I keep the same speed, I can make sure a bed is ready in near by hospital. Ten meters ahead I saw a small pit on the left, if I overtake the car by a meter, then the car may not wish to go over the pit, it’s a new car and the driver is a chauffeur and he won’t dare to make the care dirty when someone, a lady is at back seat. I accelerated to 70kmph for just a sec and was ahead of him by a meter or more the car slowed and I made a mirror S cut and overtook the car. All this happened in matter of three to four seconds. After crossing I was wondering how was it possible for me to decide that if I sped some more at that particular point of time I can overtake the car and save my life and as well as to satisfy my ego of overtaking the car? Did I make any analytical calculation at that point of time? Was my action scientific?

Yes I had made a calculation and yes my action was scientific. But did I make the calculation after realising the distance accurately? Did I make my action scientific after analysing the calculation? It took me nearly 10 minutes to write whatever crap is written above. It would have taken at least 10% of the time to describe this orally to some one which is 1 minute. It would have taken half the time if I do a mental calculation after realising that it’s a calculation. But the whole process is over in couple of seconds. Then I realised that when one starts riding a bike or any vehicle for the matter of fact, one’s subconscious mind calculates all these kind of calculations and stores it. To take a decision, there was some order from somewhere and I obeyed it. Where was this order from? Why did I obey the order? It was the subconscious mind that makes the order. How did it know correctly that I can over take? How did the actual data like chauffeur driving the car, the pit in the left of the road, the rain, the speed, the van opposite direction were used?  Any other guesses….?

31-July-2007

2 comments:

  1. Next time please rise early and leave for work early, do prep and enjoy the rain ...calculation like this..hm...is not worth your time or my time. We or i in particular don't play with lives...only speed in leisure time and hurry on your feet...so this scientific approach can be applied to other more meaningful purpose (like to save lives in seconds), not just to cut off on speed and put your and other lives in danger...LOL
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, welcome to chennai, rather India. People here need to drive/ride fast else someone else will hit you.

    Anyway, these days, i have learnt to drive on avg speed and rather being careful after i met with accident couple of times. Interestingly, both the times when i met with accident, i was riding slow... :P

    Btw, thanks for caring...

    ReplyDelete