Thursday, September 03, 2009

Bicycle Expedition: The preparations



My father and I are going for this expedition. My father already has a old cycle- but thats in good condition. I got a new cycle (Hercules MTB Matrix)last Sunday from BSA GO in Velachery near Guru Nanak College. It costed Rs.3090/-

Initially, I thought i would purchase a geared Bicycle. But then the joy of normal cycle is lost. So i decided to go on with a regular one-without gears.

The old cycle, though it is in good condition, I want it be doubly sure that it works fine. After nearly 5 years, i rode a bicyle and checked whether things are working fine. To me, the cycle was bit awkward. Then I understood that it was because of such a long gap. I rode it to the cycle repair shop, Sigamani Stores, Nanganallur and asked him to check the vehicle. The mechanic suggested to change the Chain, free wheel, balls in the rear wheel, the cups in the handle bar. All these changes and labour costed Rs. 360/- Then additionally, i covered the seat with a new cover, got two side mirrors, a chain, and Pucher repairing equipents (a pair of levers, Bharath Solution, stickers, Scrubbers). All these put to gether it costed another Rs.220/-. I fitted one side mirror in each of our cycle. Then attached the seat cover.

I am yet to do the following:

-Attach rubber sheet to Mud-guard

-Tighten all the nuts and bolts

-Stick a reflector

That's it for the vehicle. The cycle is all set to go. But there are few other things that need to be purchased for the trip. i would detail what other things that we are taking with us in the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment